The front porch on the tea room was in pretty rough shape when we bought it. Peeling paint and broken glass were the least of the problems. Those storm windows were attached to rotting wood. If you wiggled one window, 3-4 would move because they were only anchored at the top. The header across the front was sagging because there was no support in the middle. Worst of all, the floor was rotten and buckling in a couple of places.
I didn't get any photos of the demolition, but John and a friend of ours took it completely apart in a single morning, while I fixed lunch and carried the non-rotten floor boards to the garage. After we got the porch off, we painted the exterior. I'd been dying to change the color from the day we closed on the house. The goal was to make it super obvious that something good was happening. We chose Behr's 2018 color of the year, "In The Moment".
Once the porch was off and the paint was on, we decided that we'd rather pour a concrete floor than build another wood floor. Concrete isn't cheap, but it's also not subject to rot. That was another morning's work, and we were beat when we crawled into bed that night. We hope the porch floor will outlive us both.
We didn't do anything more with the porch for a couple of months, but the roofers we hired managed to get the tin put on before the winter weather turned really unpleasant. There was plenty to keep us occupied inside though, and the house already looked 10x better, even with the missing half walls.
The one short pillar bothered me for a long time. I'm positive it was always shorter than the rest, but it wasn't symmetrical, and the porch roof really needed some support. We hired a mason to come build that pillar up level with the others, and stucco over the back sides of the pillars.
We poured a ramp leading from the sidewalk to the porch. It has made moving large furniture pieces and appliances so much easier!
He avoided it as long as possible, but eventually, John tackled the rotten window. The sashes were salvageable, but the framing had to be completely rebuilt. All because of a poorly located telephone wire.
Once the weather turned warmer, we finished the half walls on the porch. As you can see from the tulips, there was a pretty long gap between framing and finishing.
I'll go into more detail in another post, but I managed to make a pretty good start on the landscaping by planting fall bulbs, and filled in with a lot of clearance plants throughout the summer. I'm nothing if not cheap!